21.02.2019 03:16
Joseph Francis
portfolio

If I export a 72 dpi png file from Photoshop for use as a canvas texture in a 72 dpi Rebelle documen, it doesn't appear 1:1 unless I set the scale of the texture to 133% which happens to be the ratio of 96 dpi / 72 dpi

Using latest Rebelle and Photoshop as of today.

25.02.2019 11:09
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Hi Joseph,

Rebelle's input scale is in pixels. If a file's dimension is in pixels in Photoshop, it should be the same in Rebelle.

Maybe there is some visual discrepancy. Can you maybe send over the file so we can take a look at it? That will help.

Thanks!

02.03.2019 12:28
Joseph Francis
portfolio

I used the word canvas texture because that's how the UI seems to refer to it, but I'm describing the behavir of a black and white image I intend to use as a paper texture. I

02.03.2019 02:26
Joseph Francis
portfolio

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o113x685mugucxc/RebellePaperDebug.wmv?dl=0

04.03.2019 01:17
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Hello Joseph,

thank you for the video, now it's clear! 
We believe that during your test in Rebelle with 72 DPI, your Texture scale is not set to 100%. Can you please check?
Texture scale slider is available in Select Canvas window, under the list of papers. We tested this and the paper loaded (almost) correctly.

I say almost because there is indeed a discrepancy - the paper edges are somehow cut just like in the second part of your video. We will take a look at this and if we find the bug in the code, we'll fix it to the future Rebelle version.

04.03.2019 07:50
Joseph Francis
portfolio

Here is part 2 answering your question. The problem persists.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4zc2xf1g5o97iu5/RebelleCanvasDebug2.wmv?dl=0

04.03.2019 08:05
Joseph Francis
portfolio

I was going to try jpegs but it looks like I am limited to importing png files for this purpose? So my feeling is Photoshop assumes 72 dpi for all png and Rebelle assumes 96 dpi?

Plus the slight offset error previously mentioned.

06.03.2019 01:11
Joseph Francis
portfolio

One thing I learned is in Photoshop,

Export > Quick Export as PNG ignores actual dpi value and sets it to 72.

Normal Save as (png) preserves dpi.

06.03.2019 01:45
Joseph Francis
portfolio
1) Your test papers (you sent me by email) are all correct except for the small corner discrepancy described above.

2) The problem is with Photohop Export > Quick Export as PNG. The problem is it...

(a) ignores the current dpi regardless of what the user sets, and
(b) self-reports as 72 dpi, and
(c) behaves in Rebelle as if 96 dpi even though it self-reports as 72 dpi.

3) Other forms of creating a PNG in Photoshop work fine. Only the Export > Quick Export as PNG method of making a PNG has the strange behavior.

06.03.2019 08:42
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Hello Joseph,

good to know!
Please make sure to save the textures you want to use in Rebelle via Save As (or Save for Web) from PS.

We will be fixing the corner discrepancy.

Thanks!