28.07.2018 03:56
farshore
portfolio

There have been some suggestions for creating a version of Rebelle for the iPad. The limiting factor for porting will be available memory. The memory available to Rebelle could be divided up into a block for the image (image size, layers, etc.) and another major block for processing. The user could be able to set image size, number of layers, and number of undos, constrained by the amount of memory available for the image. The processing memory limitation would require that the fluid dynamics code be severely simplified, but could probably still implement basic washes and most of the dry media. The product, Rebelle Pochade, could be sort of a sketchbook that could save Rebelle .reb files that could be worked to finish on the desktop, using the sketch as a basis.

28.07.2018 02:41
Kerioak
portfolio

Then those of us who use Android would want an Android version :D

I would rather see the team continue to work on the desktop version as I would love to be able to create bigger canvas's, say A3, more easily instead of having to wait for the brushstrokes to catch up and being limited in the number of layers etc I can use.  Especially if this gets rid of some of the pixilation.  I realise getting a new laptop with more memory would probably help but that would make Rebelle very expensive :D

29.07.2018 01:31
Ward
portfolio

This is part of the reason I prefer a desktop machine for doing art.  I got a used Dell Precision for about $500 and added an SSD drive and 32Gig of ram for around another $350.  I just checked and had an A3 page at 300dpi with 10 layers and still had minimal lag.  You should also check and see if the laptop memory can be expanded (mine can go to 16Gig and it's a $400 laptop). 

29.07.2018 06:37
farshore
portfolio

Personally, I use a desktop for all of my digital art; it is much faster and the bigger screen is almost irreplaceable.

The iPad suggestion is just to show the feasiblity of the project, should Peter & co. decide to try it. Apple also has an SDK (software development kit) that makes it easier to use the same code base for all devices from iPods to the high end desktop pro machines. Not such an easy job going from iOS to Android though.

02.08.2018 03:34
ArtByBenjamin
portfolio

I agree with Kerioak, I would prefer an Android version for sure..... but I rather see them invest into the desktop version and expand it more.  The FAQ hints that android/ipad won't happen anything soon, so I did exactly what Ward did, upgrade my old laptop to a Dell Precision. I got the M4700 with an i7 2.8Ghz, 32G of Ram, 128Gb SSD and 500Gb HD, Nvidia Quadro K2000M with 2Gb. I haven't had much time to play with it, but the €450 I spent seems to have gotten me a lot more power then expected. Definitely more then any Ipad or Android device could offer. My old i7 2.0Ghz, 8 Gb Ram and Intel HD3000 really struggled with Rebelle, so I don't see it running on any mobile device soon and as said, I'd rather have them spent more time on the desktop version anyway.