solved 
24.04.2022 05:26
edSariola
portfolio

First time I tried the Rebelle 5.1.1 since the update. Rebelle froze and crashed but I was asked if I wanted to save, so I thought at least my art was safe and I did.  The file was psd, I was also asked if I wanted to save in .reb file, I also did. After relaunch, I opened my art, it's just blank page for both psd and reb. I wonder if this happened to anybody here. 

24.04.2022 10:08
edSariola
portfolio

Two arts lost in one night. Above is what remains of my last art. I kept undo-ing until I cannot undo anymore. Each undo recovers a tiny square. I was using Knife Textured brush when file crashed. Weird!

24.04.2022 10:51
2dpainter
portfolio

While this is terrible.
But, could only recommend that you should definitely save more steps
while you paint your pictures, no matter what painting program you use.

25.04.2022 05:57
edSariola
portfolio

I think what happened was when it froze it already erased my art and saving my file iw simply saving the blank page. There is no way for me to see what step I was saving during the crash because I was not shown the actual step or page, just the pop up notice, so it does not matter when you did keep saving it because you're simply saving the erased art. What I should have done is saved it as another file.

I'm happy to report that the third relaunched, Rebelle did autosave a file (for my 2nd art, but not for my 1st art), the last saved step before the crash, I was able to retrieve and resaved, although I lost few steps. I did finished the 2nd art.

The square-mapping is a concern though and must be looked into what went wrong. How do the undos (command Zs) suddenly in the picture?

01.05.2022 06:42
Dralem
portfolio

If this happens again try pressing CTRL + V I think I had a similar issue before when I accidentally cut (Ctrl+X) and then trying to undo would bring up lil squares like your image, but when pressing ctrl+v it would paste the whole image again. After that I changed the cut keybind to something like CTRL+']' (something unlikely to press by accident).

03.05.2022 01:52
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Hello @edSariola,

We tried to reproduce the issue by trying various combinations of Ctrl+X and Ctrl+Z but could not reproduce the issue.

Do you happen to notice what steps you take before this erasure of your art happens?

If you could point out steps to reproduce the issue it would be VERY helpful for us. It might be an easy fix but until we know what the issue is it is unfixable. Maybe record as short video trying to reproduce this and if you catch the bug on a video, please send it to us.

At this moment, we'd recommend removing Ctrl+X from the list of shortcuts so it does not accidentally get pressed. You can still Cut from the Edit menu of Rebelle.

Also use the Iterative save that will always save your art as a new file and does not overwrite the previous saved file.

12.08.2022 04:46
edSariola
portfolio

Apparently, this issue happened again, just now. I was using Thin Paint brush Even2 when Rebelle froze and deleted the layer I was working on. I just saved it as another file and retained the older file but lost steps. I will try to recreate the buggy steps and report back.

bug1

13.08.2022 01:16
edSariola
portfolio

Re: On Rebelle 5.1.3. The same issue happened again. This time on command Z. I'm trying to recreate steps while running Crash Analyzer, but the bug is not happening again. Fortunately, the auto-save is the unspoiled file. Each command Z (5X) recovered tiny squares of the deleted layer.

04.02.2024 12:18
Alexnormanartist
portfolio

Same issue here in Rebelle 7. Unfortunately I just lost 20 hours of work. All I can remember doing was my painting layer suddenly half vanishing into these glitchy squares, then hitting ctrl Z, only for more and more of my piece to vanish. Is there a way to restore an older version of the file?

13.03.2024 09:42
DamageInside
portfolio

Maybe diggin up a necropost here, but I was just coming to report the same thing.  Was pulling a stroke and Rebelle 7 locked up for a split second, then then all but about 300 x 400 pixels of a 3 hour painting disappeared.  Hell of a way to get my to buy the software ( I was testing the trial before buying).  

To Note:  If this happens to you, open the help menu in Rebelle and click the last option to explore the program directory.  Unless you disabled autosaves entirely, you'll find your most recents autosaves here in the eponymous folder.  find one that isn't broken and open that to work from.  Default autosave is on 10 min; losing 10 min of work is better than 3 (or 20) hours.