01.08.2022 01:35
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Thanks so much! We're currently looking into this to find out what can be done to achieve this effect in Rebelle.

01.08.2022 08:32
farshore
portfolio

"I just spent many hours experimenting in Rebelle, trying to achieve the kind of dry brush/scumbling effect I'm after, and no matter what I try, the results are just not as gritty and dynamic as I want. Here are a few of the brushes I customized in Rebelle, but they don't look/feel anything li e the Photoshop ones I posted above:"

Would you please export these test brushes to the Rebelle free assets? I would like to play around with them a bit. They look to be useful.

Thanks.

03.08.2022 07:17
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

@farshore - Those were just the existing brushes (either default brush library or available for download from Rebelle). All I could do with them was to adjust the loading, or the opacity curve, or maybe the tip shape and texture, but they really didn't end up looking different enough from their default states--which was why it was so disappointing. 

06.08.2022 07:21
Avaha
portfolio

Wouldn't he be able to achieve his goal by making brushes which use  all 4 of the shapes and grains?

06.08.2022 08:36
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

Nice! I see that you're using brush shape and grain that are not included in the default Rebelle library, so I assume you either imported them from somewhere else or created them yourself? Is there's a source for downloading them? Do you mind sharing the brush preset? 

I haven't taken the time to import/create brush shapes/grains in Rebelle yet, so maybe that's the key. It's a very time-consuming process to create a set of dry/scumbling brushes, and if someone already created a brush pack out there I can download or purchase, I'd prefer to just do that. Although in the future, Escape Motions might create a set of brushes that can achieve what I'm after, I have a feeling it'll take a while for that to happen, and if I want to paint with those effects in Rebelle right now, I'd need to do something about it myself. 

06.08.2022 08:39
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

@Avaha - I thought about that, but I don't necessarily need the brush to dynamically run out of paint in multiple stages of pressure sensitivity--I just need that specific look, and just trying to create the very gritty and dry look was impossible--at least not with the included default brush shapes/grains. 

07.08.2022 01:18
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

Okay, I created some custom shapes and grains and gave it another shot. It's better than my previous attempts, but it's still not quite there. There still isn't enough sharpness to the gritty quality, and the overall behavior is still not dynamic enough. When you compare these to the Photoshop ones I posted, it's very obvious those look and feel more dynamic.

07.08.2022 01:22
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

BTW, why is it that in Brush Creator, often there are some parameters that are grayed out and cannot be changed, such as Pressure Size/Opacity, or Canvas Paper Texture Strength? But it differs from brush to brush, as some do allow those parameters to be changed. What determines this?

07.08.2022 02:03
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

A couple more.

Also, there's something else I can't figure out. There are some brushes that have shapes and grains that are not in the default library if you click on shape or grain to try to find them. Where are these actually stored? I looked in the brush categories folders and they're not in there.