19.12.2022 05:01
michaelws
portfolio

Richard Schmidt has been a favorite painter of mine for the pat 30 years.  A brilliant master of alla prima painting.  I too hope that dry-brush settings can be enhanced in Rebelle.  Love your portraits LunatiqueRob.

28.12.2022 12:08
alreb
portfolio

lunatique, I don't know if this can be useful but I was able to mimic, to a certain degree, a watercolor brush gradually losing it's pigment load.

I did not touch the 'lenght' feature, which I agree with you should be detached from opacity, instead I reversed the 'canvas texture influence' intensity curve

it is not a direct solution to the problem and maybe even unrelated to what you're looking for, but who knows you may find it useful.

29.12.2022 07:34
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

That's pretty cool. Does it only work on the watercolor brush engine, or also with the oil/acrylic and express oils too? I'll give it a try and see what I can come up with.

29.12.2022 08:23
alreb
portfolio

actually I didn't try that with oils.. will do.

let me know how it works (or not) for you.

ps. the secret with this setting is to start with light pressure and increase it along the way

30.12.2022 12:26
Antmax
portfolio

Great thread. I'm still on 5 Pro and when I try and with scumbling it always feels like I'm painting onto a oil rubbed canvas where the detail of the bristles bleed out. Which is what I'm seeing in the examples LunatiqueRob is showing. 

Very usefull discussion. Can't see a way to save the topic and get notified of updates. 

30.12.2022 12:28
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

@alreb - I spent some time playing around and the behavior is the same when using oils/acrylics. It's a step in the right direction, but the gritty texture is too consistent and still looks too homogenized. When using a real dry/scumbling brush, there's an element of randomness where in a stroke that's drying out and being dragged or scumbled on the painting surface, some spots on the brush bristles would exert more or less force and make more or less contact, and this is constantly changing based on the angle, speed, direction, pressure, etc., of your brushstroke. The other art apps I use can emulate that behavior to various degrees of satisfaction. Rebelle currently still cannot emulated that in version 6. Maybe if they do a major overhaul/update in an upcoming release, or maybe we'll have to wait until version 7. Maybe never (although I hope that's not the case). 

BTW, from what I tell, there's no reason to reverse the canvas texture influence--you can still get the same behavior if you used unreversed curve. (I also set the opacity curve to flat so it doesn't fade my stroke into semi-transparent.)

30.12.2022 12:32
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

@Antmax - I've brought up the forum glitch with Escape Motion's tech support team, and they know it's got various issues (email notification for new posts not working, no way to subscribe to a topic, no way to edit a post, lots of spams, etc.) and intend to migrate to a more robust forum in the future. It's probably not on the top of their priority list, so I have no idea how long we have to wait.

30.12.2022 07:28
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

Here's an example of a painting I'm working on currently that I couldn't paint the background in Rebelle and get the look I want, and had to paint it in Photoshop instead. It's all because Rebelle's brush engine doesn't have dynamic bristles that will splay or clump together based on angle, tilt, direction, pressure, speed, etc. 

30.12.2022 07:26
Antmax
portfolio

@LunatiqueRob I see what you mean. It looks more like hard pastels rubbed sideways maybe with color pencils :(

31.12.2022 02:49
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

What I posted was done in PS. It gives me the dynamic bristles behavior, but it can't do thick impasto like Rebelle. This is why I wish Rebelle would implement dynamic bristles, so I can have the best of both worlds. Adobe is certainly not going to add impasto painting to PS (and probably not to Fresco either). My current plan is to go over those strokes in the background with Rebelle impasto brushes carefully to build up more thickness.