solved 
16.08.2022 12:31
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

I was painting, and suddenly, the layer I was painting on became blank. I was not doing anything out of the ordinary--just painting. So I tried undoing, and with each undo, the spot I was painting previous would come back, but only in little rectangles that cover the area of the brushtroke. It looks like this:

I tried to undo as much as I could, but since Rebelle only has limited steps of undos, I couldn't get far. I tried loading the autosave, but they all gave me the error message about there being an expected crash, and do I want to load an autosave version--which makes no sense since I was already trying to load an autosave version. And then when I clicked yet, it gave me this same glitched version instead of the previous autosave. I went two autosave back (my autosave is set to 10 minutes), and both gave me the same error. I then decided to save the current glitched version with a different name and close Rebelle, since I suspected having it open was causing past autosave to not load correctly. I was right. The most recent autosave was glitched too because it happened after the file had already glitched, but the version before that restored correctly.

I have 32 GB of RAM and it was only at about 50% usage at the time of the glitch. And my CPU usage was low. Nothing was out of the ordinary except for the glitch. 

In the past, I was fine with Rebelle sometimes crashing on me, because I could always load up the autosave and get right back to painting. But this kind of glitch is absolutely unacceptable, because it lost me work due to autosave unable to restore the previous version. Yes, I technically only lost about 10 minutes of work, but often with painting, those 10 minutes could contain expressive brushwork that can never be replicated again. 

If the devs wants my glitched Rebelle file to troubleshoot, I can upload it. 

16.08.2022 12:52
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

BTW, I also have the timelapse video of the session, which shows the glitch happening. 

29.08.2022 09:17
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio
Hi @Rob,

I am very sorry this is happening. Few other users have already reported this but we are still unable to track the issue or reproduce it which is essential for fixing it. 

Do you know what exact steps lead to this? Are you able to reproduce this every time?
If you could catch this on a video and also let us know which shortcuts you used beforehand, or what steps you took right before, that would be really helpful.

What comes to my mind is whether this issue could be caused by hitting Ctrl+X instead of Ctrl+Z accidentally.
If Ctrl+X is not a shortcut you use, try to remove it from the Rebelle's Keyboard Preferences (open via File menu):

Then paint as you usually do, and please keep an eye on the bug. 
Let me know if this helps, or you were still able to reproduce it. If the latter, the video could be very useful for us.

29.08.2022 06:51
LunatiqueRob
portfolio

For those of you following this thread, the dev team also reached out to me via email, and if anything helpful comes out of our correspondence, I'll update this thread. For now, I'll just clarify that mis-pressing CTRL+X is not the issue, since I usually use the programmable buttons on my graphics tablet for undos. 

27.03.2024 08:26
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

The issue has finally been fixed to Rebelle 7.1.3 version after struggling with the reproduction of this bug for years:

Modifying a layer (e.g. painting a short stroke or clear/cut layer) quickly after Undo / Redo and then invoking another Undo / Redo caused an unrecoverable data loss in the current layer (the bug caused loss of an entire layer, undoing caused the parts of the artwork to reappear in squares)