30.01.2019 01:54
beniswriting
portfolio

Hi,  I'm currently using Rebelle to paint as closely as I can from photoreference material.  It occured to me last night something that would be very helpful would be what I'd call a "Vermeer window", in reference to how Vermeer painted.

He painted by looking at a reflected image in a small mirror in front of him, and would paint the picture behind the mirror, moving back and forth to check the lighting etc against the image reflected in the mirror.  (See the film Tim's Vermeer to see this in action.)  You could recreate the same technique in Rebelle by creating a resizable windowframe within the canvas that displayed what was on the layer below (or whichever layer you asked the window to display).  You wouldn't be able to influence the contents of the frame, but you could move the frame around, which would allow you to move the frame over sections of the painting and away again, checking the details - which for me would be more intuitive than switching layer visibility on and off again, something I find a bit fiddly when I'm trying to look at the painting!

31.01.2019 01:41
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Hello @beniswriting,

thank you very much for this idea, it looks really interesting!
Although it has some limitations I am wondering whether this workaround would help you:

set a keyboard shortcut for "Show/Hide Layer" - you can do it in Preferences > Keyboard Shortcut > Layer

01.02.2019 10:32
beniswriting
portfolio

Oh, I didn't know you could set a keyboard shortcut for show/hide layer!  Will look into it, thanks!

01.05.2019 02:26
kovych
portfolio

I also support this idea. I wanted to ask for it myself, but I was ashamed.