07.02.2024 06:55
RachelHeatherLee
portfolio

Hello all! I have just started using Rebelle. I've been using Procreate to create digital watercolor paintings, but I have been frustrated with the limitation of realistic effects. I don't have a drawing tablet yet, so I've been conducting experiments with colors, mixing, and effects while I wait to order one. 

I did a search of the forums and didn't find very much on the topic of re-creating salted effects in watercolor. Maybe everyone already knows how to do it, but it took me a little while to figure it out! Here are my experiment results - hopefully this is helpful to another n00b. 

NOTES

Spatter brush set to high water, mid to low opacity makes a great salt effect. Can use same color for regular salt. Can use different color for pigment salt. Use Fast Dry hotkey (F) to end spread when salt looks correct. 

1. Spatter 1, opacity 62 water 85 (same color spatter)
  2. Spatter 2, opacity 100 water 58 (same color spatter)
  3. Spatter 2, opacity 100 water 98, (same color spatter)
  4. Spatter 3, opacity 22 water 90 (same color spatter)
  5. Spatter 4, opacity 8 water 68(same color spatter)
  6. Spatter 5, opacity 93 water 97 (different color spatter)
  7. Spatter 3, opacity 57 water 100 (different color spatter)
  8. Spatter 3, opacity 89 water 90 (different color spatter)

8 watercolor swatches with different salted effects

24.02.2024 09:05
2dpainter
portfolio

@RachelHeatherLee,

thank you too, nice work

25.02.2024 02:36
salulum
portfolio

Thank you for sharing.
You made me curious about textured starbursts, if it's possible or not, in few steps.
We get something with structures, and alternating between the influence of paper and structure.
I tested it with high re-wet and high texture influence, the result is below, and a little how to do video.

watercolor salt effect

<iframe src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-ijtW0yM0FM" width="560" height="314" allowfullscreen="allowfullscreen"></iframe>
https://youtu.be/-ijtW0yM0FM

15.05.2024 09:35
salulum
portfolio

if anyone is interested, the structure texture (2048x2048px) i made to produce the watercolor salt effect in the video.

https://ibb.co/KFYcs1L

or

19.05.2024 12:22
adri055
portfolio

that is amazing, thank you for that, will try out, like number 1