01.04.2024 01:45
Nej Ravindran
portfolio

I am tinkering with MotionIO.  My objective is to create a .NET library that eases the generation of the JSON script.  This is my day #1, and so far, I have been able to make a basic object model, where I could create an artwork, add frames and events to it, generate JSON script, and run it through MotionIO command line to produce the png frames.  Next, I am planning to automate the creation of the movie out of the generated frames.  Afterwards, I would like to build a UI that eases the creation of the script/creation of simple animations so even people without technical background can create the script.  In my mind ideally, the movie creation should be done in a completely automated and headless way. If I become successful, I will share my work with the community here. So I have a few questions.  Hopefully, someone in the Escape Motions dev team can answer these:

1. How can I run MotionIO headless way.  I already saw the "no-gui" option in the documentation, but that does not seem to work.  I am on Windows 11, and the command I use is: "C:\Program Files\Rebelle 7 Motion IO\Rebelle 7 Motion IO.exe" -no-gui -batch-json "rebelle.json" -batch-out-rgba "out/####.png".  When I issue this command, MotionIO does show its window.

2. Is there any way to reuse the instance of the currently running MotionIO, rather than starting it every time to make the process a little faster.

3. Is there any way to get the output as a byte array or stream than a bunch of png files (eg. through the std output)?  Ideally one frame at a time.

4. What exactly is meant by simulation?  Is it the transition of the paint on the paper?  If yes, is it applicable only for watercolor?

5. If I do not set an event property in the JSON, how do I know what is the default?