01.04.2024 05:34
Aaron Lea
portfolio

I'm about to start a study of Mark Rothko to prepare for an upcoming project, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to approach this using Rebelle (I'm still new to this application, having come from Clip Studio). My apologies in advance, because I'm asking a brush question and hate myself for doing it. Still, Rebelle is a different beast, and it's more of a settings question since Rebelle uses a lot of physics and simulations.

Some facts (based on what we know):

• Rothko painted thinly, but layered his colors
  • He used acrylics from what I could gather but diluted them heavily using turpentine to create a stain essentially
  • The level of gloss was varied
  • He feathered the edges using a turpentine burn

There isn't a way to dilute oils in Rebelle and make them watery (from what I can tell). I've experimented with watercolor brushes, and while that gives me better options to create a stain, it still looks like watercolor, and won't layer the same.

I'm here to learn, and I would love to hear any insight the community could offer regarding adjusting the Visual Settings for the way the canvas behaves and brush settings to mimic Rothko.

These were two valuable resources regarding Rothko's technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSiu8qzHV6c

https://www.nga.gov/stories/how-rothko-made-paintings-on-paper.html

21.06.2024 02:24
PainterJames
portfolio
  • " He used acrylics from what I could gather but diluted them heavily using turpentine to create a stain essentially"

I am a bit shocked about this... Turpentine (not too healthy, by the way, I would avoid it in "real" traditional painting and just use Linseed oil to dilute the oils and water or a medium for acrylics) is something I hadn't heard to be used with acrylics. 

The acrylics medium can be of many types. Some are to intensify, others to get a slower drying, etc. I... just use water.

I guess it's possible, as in that video says Rothko worked so. I can't know better, I only used acrylic back in the day as a base to finish with oils (in a realistic style), as was cheaper and faster, and the other thing I know is that you can't do the opposite, acrylics won't stay over oils.

But I guess then Turpentine (again, not healthy, don't use it in traditional painting) + acrylics is surely fine. 

If I would have to do this.. maybe I would try with the "oils & acrylics" brushes section. A "Filbert" brush shape. In its settings, use zero in "loading" (actually, "1" is the minimum), and zero in "oiliness". Use the "paint and blend" mode (not "paint and mix"). They are icons in the brush settigns, are crucial for Rebelle painting. In "Brush creator" dialog (of the Filbert brush) I would modify the "paint" and the "blend" curves to be very low and only ascending a tiny bit. For that you need to click on the "Paint" tab, and "Blend" tab, and edit each curve.

Configuring everything until you get some of that effect. But to make it "watery"... that seems a much harder road.

You could try (I just tested) over those "acrylic-ish" layers, used as a base, paint with a watercolor brush, in "paint and mix" mode, but with a opacity as low as 30 or so, and "water" in 30, or less.

For the contours or border effect, I'd just use the acrylic/oil filbert brush but in pure "blend mode", in a subtle way (maybe varying opacity or etc curves).

To achieve the same than he did seems like an impossible task, in digital, though (and surely in traditional, as well).

Anyway, while I am an experienced painter, have not used Rebelle as much as some around here: You might get much better advice from others.