02.05.2024 07:53
Jawwinker
portfolio

Hi Folks,

So I am trying to run a JSON script on a Windows 11 machine. This machine has both a One Drive user directory, as well as static user directory as well. I have the following event_type in my JSON code. 

{

"event_type": "SET_BRUSH",
"tool": "WATERCOLOR",
"preset": "Gouache/Gouache Filbert",
"size": 10,
"water": 55,
"opacity": 80,
"paint_type": "PAINT",
"glaze_mode": "OPAQUE",
"color": {

"r": 0,
"g": 0,
"b": 0

}

},

I receive this error:

Invalid path to brush preset: C:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Escape Motions/Rebelle 7/Brushes/Watercolor/Gouache/Gouache Filbert.rebelle-brush.png

I am running this command to load the JSON file into Rebelle 7 Motion IO.

$ "C:/Program Files/Rebelle 7 Motion IO/Rebelle 7 Motion IO.exe" -batch-json "jsonTest.json" -batch-out-rgba "jsonTesst.####.png"

I checked the path to brush files, and they are all there. So I thought, well how about I run the script with the following event_type that points directly to the Brushes in the applications file -- 

{

"preset": "C:/Program Files/Rebelle 7 Motion IO/Brushes/Watercolor/Gouache/Gouache Liner.rebelle-brush",
"size": 25,
"opacity": 80,
"color": {

"r": 0,
"g": 0,
"b": 0

}

}

-- I receive this error.

Invalid path to brush preset: C:/Users/username/AppData/Local/Escape Motions/Rebelle 7/Brushes/Watercolor/C:/Program Files/Rebelle7 Motion IO/Brushes/Watercolor/Gouache/Gouache Filbert.rebelle-brush.png

That isn't a mis-type above. You can see that the path has combined the path to my local Brushes, along with the explicit path to the brushes in the application folder. I also copied the bushes to another location on my disk, thinking it was maybe a permissions issue and I still had the same problem. Anyone else having this issue? 

All the best,

Steve

04.05.2024 02:10
Jawwinker
portfolio

So I found the problem I was having. In the quickstart example code that was provided you will see "preset": "Gouache/Gouache Filbert". This brush is on the disk, but when I open up the software and look at the brushes it isn't available to be used. When I changed the brush to 

"preset": "Gouache/Gouache Liner", a brush that is available, the error went away. I think the code on the site should be updated so other people don't have to troubleshoot this. To other artists, near as I can tell, only use brushes that are availble in Rebelle 7 Motion IO when you open the GUI. I still think it is strange that the error code I was receivign appears to be pulling the brushes from Rebelle 7 and not Rebelle Motion 7 IO. Love the product, and I'm having a blast experimenting with it.

All the best,

Steve Jennings

Snippet of the offending code.

{
            "preset": "Gouache/Gouache Filbert",
            "size" : 40,
            "opacity": 10,
            "color": { "r": 64, "g": 127, "b": 200 }
        },
07.05.2024 10:05
Michal Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Thanks for your report, Steve!

This issue may be related to one pointed out by another user recently. Both Rebelle and Motion IO share the same library folder (all brush presets, papers, colors, settings). The reason of seeing a different set of brush presets in them is that we changed the brush preset format in a version after 7.0.5 (which is the latest Motion IO released by now), so when you use the latest Rebelle 7.1.5 and you change any parameter of a brush preset, that change is automatically stored in the brush preset file in the shared library folder, but the file now uses a newer format which Motion IO 7.0.5 isn't able to read properly so it doesn't show the preset at all. And it can't be used from the JSON either.

We didn't realize this so from now on we'll release a new Motion IO version with each such an important change in Rebelle.

When we release Rebelle and Motion IO 7.1.6 (in about a week or so), you should see the same assets in both.

Until then, you can rename the "Brushes" folder in your library folder e.g. to "Brushes_new", then run Motion IO which copies all brushes from its .app bundle to the shared library folder. These brush presets will be loaded correctly in both Rebelle and Motion IO until you change any brush parameter in Rebelle. Then the brush will be saved in the new format again and will be unusable for Motion IO.

You went the right path actually trying to use an absolute path to the brush preset stored in the Motion IO install dir, you just didn't use the full filename which ends with ".png". So instead of:

"preset": "C:/Program Files/Rebelle 7 Motion IO/Brushes/Watercolor/Gouache/Gouache Liner.rebelle-brush",

try this:

"preset": "C:/Program Files/Rebelle 7 Motion IO/Brushes/Watercolor/Gouache/Gouache Liner.rebelle-brush.png",

it should work then.

09.05.2024 08:27
Jawwinker
portfolio

Hi Micheal,

That sounds terrific! I look foward to seeing the new version. 

All the best,

Steve