18.10.2019 07:57
ForestHymn
portfolio

Hello Rebelle development team,

After using your program for several days, a serious problem is becoming clear - Rebelle's viewport displays the image too sharp. Sharper than the finished result. 

There are 2 problems with the viewport:

1 - 100% view is blurry. If you open the same image in Photoshop, or any other program - and view the same at 100%, side by side - you will see Rebelle is blurrier than what it should be, at 100% zoom.

2 - Problem #2 is that at any distance further away than 100% - it is not blurry, but the opposite - way too sharp. Meaning, the pixels and textures are exaggeratedly sharp. In this case, I'm viewing a painting at 33%. In Rebelle, it looks sharp, and looks "finished". But when I open the same painting in Photoshop, the same painting looks unfinished, lacking texture and details. This is because the viewport in Rebelle is too sharp. The "filtering" it uses is exaggerated. This causes a painting to look finished, when it really isn't. 

In order to fix this, maybe different viewport filtering options could be added to "Preferences", "General" - as Image Display options... I know PaintStorm Studio, for example - has an option to allow the user to manually change the sharpness of the pixel display. Something like that, or a more similar viewport to Photoshop's, might give the user a better representation of their finished painting. So they can trust that what they're painting from far away - will look the same in the end.

Thank you so much for taking a look at this problem and idea.

23.10.2019 11:15
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

1 - 100% view is blurry.
This seems to be a bug in our code, which we'll try to fix.

2 - Problem #2 is that at any distance further away than 100% - it is not blurry, but the opposite - way too sharp.
This will require changes in the viewport renderer. We'll need to rewrite the code for this one in the future.
29.11.2021 05:19
ForestHymn
portfolio

Thank you so much for considering this. I am really in love with this program. I would love to use it, but the over-sharpness of the view is a real problem. It would be fantastic if in the preferences, there could be an option to manually adjust how sharp the pixels are displayed. That way every user can customize it to their personal liking. And that way professional artists can adjust it so it matches the finished image result.

White Horse - Viewport Sharpness Problem

As an example - this painting sketch I made in Rebelle 4 - looks very sharp and beautiful when viewed inside Rebelle. But when opened on every other application, including all image previewers, or even when posted online - it looks far blurrier. The edges of each brush stroke are actually blurrier than what is displayed in Rebelle. Having the option to adjust the viewport sharpness manually would allow for finding the right balance between sharpness and hazyness - for an accurate representation of the artwork. So we can trust what we are painting.

Thank you so much for considering this issue.