11.01.2020 06:37
Michael Bessell
portfolio

I am hoping someone can help me with a little problem. I have recently bought a PC running Windows 10.

To save time I have created a start-up template file in Rebelle and have changed the file's properties to 'Read Only' so that I can't make any changes to it, but Windows 10 appears to be ignoring this 'Read Only' state and just lets me make changes to the file. On a Mac you have the options to 'Lock' the file, or turn it into a 'Stationery Pad' file which automatically creates a duplicate when you open it. On the Windows platform Rebelle disregards the file's 'Read Only' state and allows changes to be made to it. Is this an oversight of the programmers of Rebelle or a problem with how my Windows is set up? I am still learning how to use Windows and am not totally on top of it yet. I have tested 'Read Only' files in other software (Artrage and Blender) and there is no problem with them, that is, they won't allow a Read-Only file to be overwritten. It seems to be a peculiarity with Rebelle.

14.01.2020 10:19
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Hi Michael,

thank you for reporting this!

Yes, you are correct, we were able to reproduce it as well. The issue here is that Rebelle first writes the file into a temporary folder, then deletes the original file and replaces it with the new one. We would expect Windows to stop this operation internally, but it does not. As the problem is a bit more complicated I am afraid we won't be able to fix it soon, but I'll put it on our list of issues and the development team will get back to it later.

16.01.2020 10:48
Michael Bessell
portfolio

Hi Veronika, thanks for your reply. I was concerned most of all that my Windows 10 was acting weirdly.

I have found an easy solution is to immediately save the file as a different name as soon as I open it, leaving the template as it was unchanged. 

17.01.2020 12:22
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Hi Michael,

yes, that is a handy workaround :)

14.10.2020 10:43
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

We have partially solved this issue by not allowing the latest Rebelle 3.2.5 update to replace the 'read-only' files.
Instead, Rebelle 3.2.5 update will now display the "Save as" dialog window, so you should not accidentally make changes to the original 'read-only' template file.

You can download the 3.2.5 update from your Community account - after you log in, go to "My profile" > "Purchases".
Rebelle 3.2.5's download links are listed at the top.

Let us know how this version works for you, we'll appreciate your feedback! :)