25.03.2020 07:51
amade
portfolio

According to the Rebelle 3 Essentials video, hiding a layer mask should remove its influence on any other layers. However as seen in the video I made here: https://youtu.be/w_G4YVROI94 I was not able to apply paint on an influenced layer as if the mask was still having an influence despite having already hidden the masking layer. While I could work around this by disabling the influence on the specific layer I'm working on, this would not work if I want to have multiple masking layers and disable some of it and still have other masking layers in effect.

01.04.2020 01:48
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Hi @amade,

thank you for posting to our Forum!
When a masking layer is hidden it still has an influence on the influenced layers. Please excuse the incorrect information in the video.

At the moment the only way how to disable the masking layer is to turn off the masking from layer - either disable the 'M' symbol from the specific layer or go from the menu Layer > Masking Fluid Layer.

We will consider implementing some handy system for how it could be with multiple masking layers. What would work for you the best?

01.04.2020 06:05
amade
portfolio

Thank you for your response.

I'm still familiarising myself with the program, so I'm not sure yet what would be the best approach. I instinctively feel that hiding the masking layer should also disable its influence on other layers (like in the video). There have been several instances where I had tried to apply paint on a layer without realizing that a masking layer that I had temporarily hidden was still having an influence.

Disabling the M symbol may cause other issues such as forgetting that it was disabled even though I can visibly see the mask, and then I would end up applying paint under the mask without realizing it has no influence until I have already done a lot of work.

03.04.2020 12:03
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Sure, I understand. We'll try to come up with a solution. To me, hiding the layer sounds like the best approach at the moment.

Feel free to share your ideas when you get more familiar with Rebelle, we'd love to hear them.

05.04.2020 04:13
amade
portfolio

After giving this some more thought, I think the best compromise would be to allow users to set the layer mask behaviour in the preferences, e.g. a checkbox to "Disable layer's masking influence when hidden". That way users can choose whichever workflow that suits them best.

08.04.2020 04:56
Veronika Escape Motions
Team Member portfolio

Thanks @amade, we'll consider it!