24.11.2018 04:46
RealityFox
portfolio

I've been trying to modify acrylic to feel a bit more like oil and I'm struggling with it. I'd like to get something like this:

but I mostly just get a dry brush feel, and when I try to get the brush to load more paint the impasto gets a bit too strong for my liking. Does anyone have any tips? 

24.11.2018 05:13
Jason Maranto
portfolio

You can reduce the appearance of Impasto in the Visual Settings panel -- so don't let that stop you from creating a brush that gets the look you want. But I would also say getting a complete 1:1 reproduction of real-world heavy-body paint (oils or acrylics) is asking too much from the current version of the software. You CAN get fairly close -- I've made several that I have distributed through my Patreon that I think get closer than the default brushes... so with a bit of elbow grease you could probabaly get there too.

24.11.2018 10:47
Jason Maranto
portfolio

As an example, here are seven "oily" Acrylic brushes I recently made for my Patreon.

From my POV, the thing that bothers me the most is new layers of Acrylic do not react to the impasto of underlying layers the same as the Canvas Texture... which totally kills the believability of the wet over dry look. In the real world the dreid impasto itself become just as much the texture of the surface as the canvas does, and the brush reacts accordingly.

25.11.2018 03:26
RealityFox
portfolio

Mmmm well, I'll play with that impasto setting then under the visual settings. I don't need a 1:1 but some of the examples you showed have some potential to getting something I'd like. Thanks! 

Maybe Rebelle will get some oil enhancements.